This appears strange to some residents as for many years they have been abandoned. Many have actually said that they have not had representation since the late Bert Carless (my mentor a real representative of the people in comparison to some today) was deselected in the early 1990's. which is a long time ago.
"Newtown used to be great" one resident of Pannel Croft Village told me that moved to the area into a brand new house in 1973. She went on to tell me how the Local Councillors cared and would help them unlike today. She was able to name them as they were accessible at a time when there were no mobile phones, Internet, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, 3 TV channels etc., I am sure that you get the message.
Councillors would be accessible on the doorstep, through their surgeries and responded to letters, but, got the job done.
Many in Newtown have told me, "we want people who get the job done."
Below are some of the Issues:
1. Community Facilities The lack of Community facilities, with the closure of the Drum and the proposed closure of Newtown Community Centre clearly locally, there has been a failure to consult or even advise you of what is happening locally as there are now facilities.
2. Representation Your Local Councillors have been leaving their surgeries early or even not turning up at all, hence not giving you the representation, you deserve.
3. Rubbish & Fly Tipping The state of the area is not being dealt with; the constant build-up of rubbish particularly owing to fly tipping is just not being dealt with effectively.
4. Gun Crime & Knife Crime is leaving some of you feeling unsafe and some not even wanting to go out to the shops. Burglaries and anti-social behaviour is also ion the increase.
5. Policing There is a clear lack of visible and proactive policing locally, despite their being a Police station in Newtown, many of you still feel unsafe.
I am sure that over coming weeks Newtown will receive a lot of attention, particularly from their Local Councillors, who sadly have forgotten that Newtown was within their ward. However, I am here to get the job done for "Everyone and not the chosen few"
15th March 2018