Nominations are now open for the Word 4 Weapons 2015 Community Awards, being held at the Molineaux Stadium, Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton WV2 4QR ( The home of Wolverhampton Wanderers) on Saturday 3rd October 2015.
This will be the first time this prestigious event is being held in the West Midlands and is hosted by Word 4 Weapons and Birmingham Empowerment Forum.
This Awards event will be in memory of the late Bob Jones, former PCC for the West Midlands and an avid Wolves fan, who suddenly passed away in 2014. Bob Jones was constructive in responding to the call of the West Midlands Community to address the issue of knives and guns being used on the streets. He gave his word to address it and he started it, unfortunately he was unable to see his work come to fruition. However, the work has continued resulting in 11 knife bins now installed in the area and many lives potentially saved from harm.
There will be six awards presented by our special guests. This year we will be recognising individuals, groups and organisations that have made a positive impact within the community of the West Midlands. So who will you nominate for one of these special Awards? Everyone has until midnight on the 21st September when nominations will close and finalists selected.
The Categories are:
1. The Bob Jones Memorial Awards - An individual or group who has shown outstanding commitment to reducing knife and/or gun crime within local communities in the West Midlands.
2. Community Champion - An Individual that has worked within their community to promote non-violence, whilst appreciating cultural diversity.
3. Community Group Inspiration Award- A Community Group that is working hard to create greater Community Spirit and cohesion in an ever changing environment.
4. Community Youth Champion - An individual (up to age 23) who has shown commitment in expressing non-violence to youngsters through their actions and being a positive role model in changing attitudes and minds.
5. Community Youth Group Award - A Youth Group committed to promoting activities that show how young people can express themselves without the use of violence.
6. Community Awareness Award (Safety Through Music and Arts) - An Organisation, Group or Individual that has used Music or Art to promote non-violence and reduction of knife and gun crime.
To make your nomination and find out more visit the Word 4 Weapons events page at: http://www.word4weapons.co.uk/HTML/events_list.html
For knife Bin Location please visit http://www.b-e-f.org.uk/anti-weapon-group.html